Saturday 16 January 2010

on the shine i've taken that won't dull down.

The characters in this poem are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.*

Special person,
if I were you I'd pay no attention
to admonitions from me... 

                                              ...To love another is something
like prayer and can't be planned, you just fall
into its arms because your belief undoes your disbelief.
 
-Anne Sexton
 
dismissal, devotion.
each blue eye
on the same bright face
nulls the space that lays
numbed by her candor which
echoes- rings out - in ardor, in ardor, in ardor

ebullience. 'til an ending.
no one knows that i will
never match the rhythm of her heartbeat. with
one pound and three-quarters of premature chagrin i
expect the question; maudlin, mirrored: 
do i? i think i do
 
for her smile's the same at six as it was at two,
her hair shimmers its blonde good morning.
we stroll for one night onto hard-pressed streets,
and onto my pages she comes pouring.
the gentlest glance turns to the softest blush
and i'm soaring...
          i'm soaring...
                     i'm soaring

*except, of course, if i'm referring directly to You. which i am.

6 comments:

Kerry said...

*cough* Tell her you like her, you have nothing to lose *cough*

But seriously, I love that you're acknowledging your poetic streak. I'm keen to read more. The last one - the pantoun? - was my fave!

xoxo
K.

Lizzard said...

your words make things move inside of my thorax. more to come...

gigglepeppers said...

Kerrian - I might have just done so, but my standard line is, "it's just a poem, the characters aren't necessarily real". That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Elizabeth - Thanks again for the thorough critique that you emailed! The next one's all you, darlin'.

gigglepeppers said...

So upon re-reading this 100 times this weekend, I think I may have to delete it. I still really appreciate your feedback/effort, Elizabeth, but how did you miss how cheesy this sounds? I'm talking nachos, here.

Kerry said...

oooooh I figured it out, I did! SO clever. And by clever I mean really quite obvious, hidden in plain sight. You may as well have printed this out and handed it to her directly.

Kiddo, you're so passive it hurts! Still love ya tho.

xoxo,
K.

gigglepeppers said...

Um, right...Kerrian, why are you up so late? I'll give you a cookie for "figuring out the obvious from so far away." However, I'm going to have to delete that comment...Tomorrow, maybe.